BEFORE installation hardwood flooring please consider the following:
- The job site is completely enclosed with outside windows, doors & thresholds in place.
- Gutters & downspouts are properly placed to drain water away from the structure.
- Soil surrounding structure is graded away from site.
- Crawl space has moisture barrier covering entire ground area and is dry.
- Air conditioning, heating & ventilation systems are operable and set between 65 & 75 degrees.
- Relative humidity is between 40 & 60 percent.
- All wet trades (drywall, paint, ceramic tile, etc) have completed their work.
- Builder has completed power washing in basement and is completely dry.
- Subfloor is smooth, clean, sound, dry and flat within 3/16" in a 10' span.
- Wood has acclimated for at least 72 hours in areas to be installed.
- Moisture content of wood should not exceed 13%.
- Concrete floor has been installed for a minimum of 60 days.
- Moisture content in concrete should not exceed 4.5 using a Tramex concrete moisture meter.
- Concrete does not exceed 3 pounds of moisture per 1,000 utilizing a Calcium Chloride test.
- You have the correct trowel in glue down installations based on manufacturers recommendations.
- You have the manufacturers' recommended adhesive.
- Open and work out of 3 or more boxes of wood.
- Continue to monitor the moisture content of the wood and subfloor.
- The floor is running square to the chalk line.
- Nailing patterns are per manufacturers' recommendations.
- The floor is running perpendicular to the floor joist.
- Proper expansion is left around all vertical objects.
- Continue to keep floor and subfloor free of debris.
- Remove any excess adhesive on the wood floor as you go.
- Stay off glued wood floor to avoid movement.
- Sweep entire floor and clean up all wood pieces.
- Install all trim pieces.
- Fill all nail holes and touch up any damaged areas.
- Roll glued down floor with 100lb roller.
- Remember to keep temperature between 65 and 75 degrees year around.
- Remember to keep relative humidity between 40% - 60% to avoid gapping in wood year round.
- Read all care and maintenance information from retailer.